The Escapery’s Writing Season is in full swing!
Our East Bay classes are currently held at our North Oakland Headquarters, near MacArthur Blvd and Fruitvale Ave, about a 5-minute walk from an AC Transit hub. (Or a 12-minute Lyft from MacArthur or Fruitvale BART). If you are driving, there is easy street parking right out front! We have tea, snacks, pencils, crayons ready for you!
I offer appointments for individual developmental editing and coaching.
My goal as an editor is to provide encouragement and exploration in the revision process. Playwriting and poetry deeply inform the narrative structure and style of my own short stories and flash fiction. I enjoy the challenge of mixing genres, writing into questions, distilling material down to its thematic essence, searching for connections, motifs, and themes. I enjoy studying story structure, offering suggestions for tightening or refining the material. I try to understand the heart of where each writer is coming from, their intentions, and to ask the types of questions that help writers generate more work and deeper understanding about their characters and intentions. My editorial and writing strengths are primarily with fiction (realist, surrealist, weird, fabulist, speculative, lyrical, poetic, maximalist, minimalist, and humorous fiction). For memoirs, essay, and other creative nonfiction manuscripts, I can refer you to one of my fabulous Escapery colleagues.
Editing services and pricing estimates are as follows:
- Developmental editing and coaching:
- 60mins – $50
- Example: A 20-page manuscript might cost $100-125.
- 60mins – $50
- Prices will vary depending on the project. We will work out a final pricing and payment plan after our initial meeting (phone call, Skype, or in-person). To learn more about the cost or to schedule an appointment, please write and tell me a little about you and your writing project!
- I accept PayPal, cash, or check.
To learn more about the other FABULOUS Escapery teachers and editors, please visit here.
OAKLAND DROP-IN FOR WRITERS (FREE!)
****The monthly Oakland Drop-In is on a temporary hiatus. Our newsletter will announce when the drop-in will resume! Thank you so much for your patience and understanding!***
Join us at Hive, the place to bee, 2135 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, for the Escapery’s FREE East Bay drop-in for writers!
On the LAST Sunday of every month from 10:30am-12:15pm, beginning on September 25, 2016, join us at Hive, settle in with your mug of coffee or tea or a delicious freshly baked pastry, and write write write!
This drop-in is perfect for writers of all genres and experience levels (short story, flash fiction, novelists, essayists, poets, playwrights!) because the goal is solely to produce work using the momentum and supportive energy of writing in a public context, in close proximity to other hardworking writers!
This is a FREE event!
- 10:30am-10:45am Arrive, say Hi, order your coffee or tea or yummy food.
- 10:45-11:00am Settle in with your notebook and pencil.
- 11:00am-12:00pm SILENT WRITING for one full hour.
- 12:00pm-12:15pm Briefly checking in with everyone (optional)
DELIGHT: A ONE-DAY WORKSHOP
Kathryn Kruse‘s DELIGHT two-day intensive workshop in Oakland in December 2016 was FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS! On the first day, we wrote all afternoon and into the evening, utilized Kathryn’s gorgeous writing and art experiments! On the second day, we met at the incredible San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, where Kathryn gave us wonderful writing experiments as we explored seven glorious floors of sculpture and paintings and installation art. Her workshop was described as: A writing workshop aimed at finding and following joy. A workshop aimed at finding and following good writing. A workshop that asks the question: Why would you do this if it doesn’t feel good? Details: Oakland 94602. Saturday, December 10, 2016. 2pm – 6pm. Cost $60.
Everything about her workshop’s description came true…we found and followed our joy, explored writing and art…and felt pretty damn good at the end of it. Kathryn has a new SF workshop series that she will be announcing soon!
OFF THE PAGE: A ONE-DAY WORKSHOP
OFF THE PAGE was a terrific success. Read about it below!
- To revise one flash piece to be read for The Escapery’s premier literary reading event, Off the Page!
- To receive constructive feedback of your work.
- To increase your confidence as a reader of your work in a public context.
- To practice reading your work in a safe and supportive environment.
WHEN: Sunday October 25th, 2-6 pm.
WHERE: The Escapery SF Mission!
- Flash fiction, short story writers, and poets of all levels who want a supportive environment.
COST: Early enrollment is $75. Discounts available for students and low-income individuals!
STONE AND STORY–A GEOLOGY OF WRITING: 4-WEEK WORKSHOP
Week 2: Axis – Tilting and Spinning (Preciousness and Perfection)
Week 3: Canyons – Subtext vs. Story (Themes and Intention)
Week 4: Earthquakes – Fragments vs Sentence (Lyricism in Prose)